Pages


Tuesday 9 April 2013

An Indian Woman

No famed personality, no celebrated celebrity. I am just and ordinary girl from a down to earth family. What I write here today is something that every Indian woman feels. I am not weak, you are just too blinded by your chauvinism to see how strong I am. I don't react to your cheap tricks and its not because I can't, its because I dont want to break your ego so easy. 

I can't even use public transport. In buses people cling fast to their belongings because they're afraid of losing them but me? My most priced possession, my dignity, my respect, my body is out there for people who fulfill their cheap fantasies with, to brush upon, to feel. Metro? Well yes, a little safer because we have a "ladies compartment" right? I wrote that in inverted commas because thats a namesake LADIES compartment. Men enter the compartment and push themselves on me and leave saying sorry with a cheap smirk. And autos? The drivers are more interested in listening to my voice by asking silly questions, he uses the rear view mirror, not to look at the cars but me. And dont think I dont know where those sudden breaks and wrong turns come from, I do. 

I am supposed to cover myself up because apparently my dressing sense provokes the rapists? What about the rapes in winters? I am not supposed to stay out late? What about the day-time rapes? I am supposed to have female friends only, no male friends, what about the rapes where unknown people barge into your autos ? Acid attacks, burnt bodies, ruined lives, these things make me heart weep, not because I'm helpless but because i have to live with beasts. My body, my pride, my dignity is ruined, I am the victim, and you blame me? I am supposed to call my rapists 'bhaiya' so he leaves me? You know what? They wont stop even if i wear their mothers mask on my face, because they would stop at nothing. And I am the one to be blamed? I,  as a girl can't even think of being on the receiving end of such animalistic behaviour base on what? My gender? Of course, that's legitimate. What infuriates me most is how the society is so quick to judge the victim. Shouldn't have been out so late, was with guys, was wearing a dress, so what? A guy murdered in the same situation wont be blamed, then why me? Tell me how am I supposed to believe that i live among humans and not a group of unevolved form of the most dangerous animal on the face of Earth, just how? 

I am an Indian woman, and I dont want your sympathy. I just want to warn you. If a girl can let you live in a world of illusion where you are more powerful than her, if she can let you dominate her and take all the bullshit you give her, she can also rip you apart totally. So dont force me. Dont. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment